Monday, February 10, 2014

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

I'm watching a documentary on Netflix about a serial killer from 1928 named Carl Panzram. I've always had a strange fascination with learning about serial killers. I guess because I could never see myself doing what they do. I don't regret changing my majors at all. I'm not good at math at all, so engineering wouldn't have worked out at all. And I grew to hate business, mainly because I didn't want to be stuck behind a desk my whole life. I imagine everyone I know who has desk jobs. Can you imagine sitting behind a desk and a keyboard, day after day, daydreaming and staring out the window on a bright and sunny day wishing you were outside? That's me. Also, I needed to have a career in which I directly help people. Business majors don't help people, unless you're a financial consultant or something like that (which I didn't want to be). Also, what a lot of people don't realize is that no matter what major you choose pertaining to business, you're going to be doing math. A lot of math. Whether you choose accounting, finance, economics, statistics, marketing, management, information systems, whatever. Not engineering level mathematics, but enough to make me think to myself "I don't want to do math my entire life. I need to choose a major that makes me happy, not one that has a good salary." When I changed my major to Criminal Justice, I didn't look at salaries. Not until the day before I told my family, because I knew they would ask "How much do _______ make?" They weren't angry or upset at my changing of majors. They support me and want me to do what makes me happy. However, when I told them I wanted to be a detective, they started giving me flack. They're worried that I'm going to be killed. We could all be killed every single day, just by getting in our cars and driving to work. You can't have that mindset that "something bad might happen" otherwise, you would never leave your house. My dad wants me to be a Game Warden or a Park Ranger, which I'm not against. My mom and sister want me to be a paralegal, which I have considered. However, paralegals are stuck behind a desk all day, doing research for cases that lawyers take to court. So while you're staying up all night writing a report, the lawyers get all the glory. I'm not against it, its just not what I want to do at this point in time. I want to help people. I want to make the world a better place, if I can. I want my son to tell all his friends at school that his daddy is a police officer. I want people to be proud of me. And I don't think that there's anything wrong with that. I don't care about money anymore. It's more about the impact that you make on people's lives. A hundred  years from now, no one is going to remember me whether I was a cop or a marketer. So why not do what makes me happy? Why not make a direct impact on people's lives instead of trying to take their money by making stupid ads that no one cares about?

I don't have my priorities straight. But I'm trying. I'm human, I make a lot of mistakes. This isn't one of them. The important people in my life understand. Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment